Azure Advisor is a great feature which provides recommendations on High Availability, Security, Performance and saving costs. Yes, that’s right, Microsoft help you save costs. It’s not all about making money for Microsoft, they want to help their customers save costs.
So how do they help customers save? Well, Microsoft will scan your Azure environment and report back any services which you could delete or downgrade via Azure Advisor. Services include:
– Optimize virtual machine spend by resizing or shutting down underutilized instances
– Reduce costs by eliminating unprovisioned ExpressRoute circuits
– Reduce costs by deleting or reconfiguring idle virtual network gateways
– Buy reserved virtual machine instances to save money over pay-as-you-go costs
– Delete unassociated public IP addresses to save money
– Delete Azure Data Factory pipelines that are failing
– Use Standard Snapshots for Managed Disks
How to access Cost recommendations in Azure Advisor
1) Login to the Azure portal
2) Search for and select Advisor
3) On the Advisor dashboard, select the Cost tab
It’s good to know that Microsoft are looking out for their customers when it comes to costs savings. It’s not all about making money for them, but they are passing down savings to the customers aswell.