In this blog post I will be backing up an Azure File Share that I created to store my Windows Virtual Desktop FSLogix Profiles.
1) Login to the Azure Portal portal.azure.com
2) Firstly, i’ll create a recovery services vault
A Recovery Services vault is a storage entity in Azure that houses data. The data is typically copies of data, or configuration information for virtual machines (VMs), workloads, servers, or workstations. You can use Recovery Services vaults to hold backup data for various Azure services such as IaaS VMs (Linux or Windows) and Azure SQL databases.
Search and click Recovery Services Vault
3) Click Add
4) Complete details for your new Recovery Services Vault. See example below
5) Add tags as required and click create
6) Next, visit Recovery Services Vault and click your newly created vault
7) Click + Backup
8) Click the notice as highlighted below
9) As you’ll see, by default the storage replication type is set to geo-redundant. For the purpose of this lab, i’ll be configuring locally-redundant. You may wish to select local or one of the other options depending on your requirements.
10) I select Locally-redundant and click save
11) From the drop down (What do you want to backup?) select Azure FileShare
12) Click Backup
13) Click Select under Storage Account
14) Click your storage account and click ok
15) Click ‘Create a new policy’
16) Click Add and select the Azure Fileshare
17) Set your backup policy as per your requirements. For the purpose of this demo, I have configured as follows
18) Click Enable Backup
19) Wait for confirmation. Takes less then a minute
20) Next, visit your Recovery Services Vault, click backups from the left pane and then click Azure Storage (Azure Files)
21) Notice the backup is pending
22) Click the backup
23) Click Backup now
24) I’m going to leave the data retention as one month. You may wish to set as per your organisation requirements. Click OK
25) Wait for configuration to complete
26) If required, to modify the backup, click the recovery services vault, click backup policies and then select the policy.
If you wish to monitor backups or restore data, visit the storage account and use the backup and snapshot options in the left pane