Usually, .NET installs go through with out issue, but this is one to watch out for.
You run the dotnetfx35.exe file but the install hangs on ‘Downloading – Re-establishing connection with the server’ (Click image below to enlarge)
This worked for me:
1) If you’re installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, download the full package from http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe
2) Save to a location on your machine. For example you save to c:\net35SP1
3) Open a command prompt and type the below:
c:\net35SP1\dotnetfx35.exe /x c:\net35SP1
3) Press enter. The above command will extract the install to c:\net35SP1
4) Run the setup file from the folder you extracted to and it should go through without the above re-establishing connection issue.